SIAM Journal on Computing
- Is the target journal a part of the Science Citation Index (SCI) or the Social Science
Citation Index (SSCI)? Yes.
- Is the target journal listed in other indexes?
Science Citation Index — MathSciNET — Compendex — INSPEC
- Affiliated publishing organization: SIAM PUBLICATIONS
- Journal type: Interdisciplinary journal
- Publishing organization type: Journal published by a society or association
- Year of issue: 1972 to present
Standard Quantitative Indicators
- Total citations: 4634
Citations in the past 2 years: 286
Impact factor: 1.459
Self-citations (Self cites): 36
Self-citations/Self cites: 36 (2% of 1530)
Journal self-citations in the past 2 years: 3 (2% of 118)
Impact factor after excluding journal self-citations: 0.804
- Impact factor: 1.459
5-year journal impact factor: 1.883
(Impact factor trend graph)
- Aggregate impact factor:
1.341 in Computer Science, Theory & Methods
0.989 in Mathematics, Applied
- Rank in category:
Subject category Total journals Impact factor ranking Quartile in categoryCOMPUTER SCIENCE, THEORY & METHODS84 28 Q2MATHEMATICS, APPLIED 175 22 Q1**Q1 to Q4 represent the impact factor ranking of each subject category, where Q1 is the top 25%, Q2 is 25% to 50%, Q3 is 50% to 75%, and Q4 is above 75%.
- Cited half-life: >10 years.
The table below shows an analysis of the journal’s literature citation frequency and cumulative percent to total:Year 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 1998-allCitations 19 116 170 182 132 223 135 122 195 238 3102Cumulative percent to total 0.41 2.91 6.58 10.51 13.36 18.17 21.08 23.72 27.92 33.06 100The graph below shows the journal’s annual literature citation frequency and relevant analysis:
- The white/grey region represents the journal cited half-life
- The yellow region represents the journal self-citations
- The dark blue region represents the journal non-self-citations
- The blue region represents the calculation basis for the impact factors
- Eigenfactor score: 0.01071
- Article influence score: 1.106
- Immediacy index: 0.288
- Aggregate immediacy index:
0.210 in Computer Science, Theory & Methods 0.202 in Mathematics, Applied
Other Indicators of Journal Quality
- Editing quality: Excellent
- Timeliness: Punctual
Journal Information Outline
- Journal contact information:
3600 Market Street, 6th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19104-2688 USA Phone: +1-215-386-9800 x321 or 1-800-447-7426 (toll free in USA and Canada)Fax: +1-215-386-7999 Email: [email protected]: www.siam.org/journals/sicomp.php
Contact Cherie Trebisky, Editorial Associate: [email protected]
» With questions about individual papers in review.» To notify SIAM of address changes.
Contact Mitch Chernoff, Publications Manager, about: [email protected]
» Peer review policies and procedures.» Journal backlog and pagination information.» General requests or complaints.» Problem papers (in review).» Special issues, errata, addenda.
Contact Kelly Thomas, Managing Editor, with: [email protected]
» Questions about article production (post-acceptance).» Questions about copyright policy and permissions.
Contact David Marshall, Publisher, about: [email protected]
» Journal marketing questions or suggestions» Publishing a journal with SIAM
Contact Heather Blythe, Reprints Coordinator with: [email protected]
» Questions concerning page charges and reprints.
- E-mail address for the editor-in-chief and journal website:
Editor-in-Chief:Madhu Sudan MIT CSAIL (CS & AI Laboratory)The Stata Center, 32-G64032 Vassar Street Cambridge, MA 02139E-mail: [email protected] EditorsBernard Chazelle (One of the authors cited in your paper’s literature review or references)Pankaj K. Agarwal (One of the authors cited in your paper’s literature review or references)Department of Computer ScienceDuke UniversityBox 90129Durham, NC 27708E-mail: [email protected] to the journal homepage:
- Journal contact information:
- Target readership: Researchers, students, and experts or professionals
- Types of accepted articles:
The SIAM Journal on Computing aims to provide coverage of the most significant work going on in the mathematical and formal aspects of computer science and nonnumerical computing. Submissions must be clearly written and make a significant mathematical contribution, and be relevant to computer science.Topics include, but are not limited to, analysis and design of algorithms, algorithmic game theory, data structures, computational complexity, computational algebra, computational aspects of combinatorics and graph theory, computational biology, computational geometry, computational robotics, the mathematical aspects of programming languages, artificial intelligence, computational learning, databases, information retrieval, cryptography, networks, distributed computing, parallel algorithms, and computer architecture.In general, only original papers will be considered. Submission of a manuscript to a SIAM journal is representation by the author that the manuscript has not been published or submitted simultaneously for publication elsewhere. However, papers previously presented in conference proceedings of limited circulation may be submitted in revised form. If a paper has appeared previously, in any form, authors must clearly indicate this in both their cover letter and in a footnote on the first page of the paper.Related links: http://www.siam.org/journals/sicomp/policy.php
- Purpose and scope:
The Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) is an international community of over 13,000 individual members. Almost 500 academic, manufacturing, research and development, service and consulting organizations, government, and military organizations worldwide are institutional members.SIAM fosters the development of applied mathematical and computational methodologies needed in these various application areas. Applied mathematics in partnership with computational science is essential in solving many real-world problems. Through publications, research, and community, the mission of SIAM is to build cooperation between mathematics and the worlds of science and technology.SIAM was incorporated in 1952 as a nonprofit organization to convey useful mathematical knowledge to other professionals who could implement mathematical theory for practical, industrial, or scientific use.Since then, SIAM’s goals have remained the same:
- To advance the application of mathematics and computational science to engineering, industry, science, and society;
- To promote research that will lead to effective new mathematical and computational methods and techniques for science, engineering, industry, and society;
- To provide media for the exchange of information and ideas among mathematicians, engineers, and scientists.
Related links: http://www.siam.org/about/more/overview.php
- Number of publications: 6/year
- Number of papers published each year: An average of 98 papers published per year (104 articles were published in 2009 and 92 articles were published in 2008)
- Publication Format
Print and/or electronic formats: Both available, bimonthly journals are available in paper form, and monthly issues are in electronic form.
Is your target journal an open access journal? No.
- Submitting Authors
What are the academic backgrounds of the submitting authors: Mostly researchers and university professors
- Are authors ethnically diverse: Yes.
- What is the percentage of Taiwanese authors among all submitting authors? From 2007 to 2009, approximately 1% of the authors were from Taiwan.
- Are the authors from different universities and institutions? Yes.
- Members of the editorial board:
- Is the editorial staff in a state of transition? No.
Correlations Between Authors’ Articles and Journals
- Has your target journal published papers that cover topics similar to your own? Yes.
- When were papers on topics similar to your own most recently published in the journal?
- Title: PROFILES OF TRIES Author(s): Park, G; Hwang, HK; Nicodeme, P, et al.Source: SIAM JOURNAL ON COMPUTING Volume: 38 Issue: 5 Pages: 1821-1880 Published: 2008 Times Cited: 1 Title: On kappa-D range search with patricia tries Author(s): Nickerson, BG; Shi, QXSource: SIAM JOURNAL ON COMPUTING Volume: 37 Issue: 5 Pages: 1373-1386 Published: 2007 Times Cited: 0Title: Partial match queries in random k-d trees Author(s): Chern, HH; Hwang, HK Source: SIAM JOURNAL ON COMPUTING Volume: 35 Issue: 6 Pages: 1440-1466 Published: 2006 Times Cited: 0
- Is your paper consistent with editorial objectives and goals? Yes
- Does your paper fulfill the journal’s preferences regarding quantitative or qualitative research? Yes (quantitative research)
- Do papers that have been published in the target journal contain the same
- research methods used in your paper? Yes Title: RANDOM HYPERP LANE SEARCH TREES Author(s): Devroye, L; King, J; McDiarmid, CSource: SIAM JOURNAL ON COMPUTING Volume: 38 Issue: 6 Pages: 2411-2425 Published: 2008Times Cited: 0Title: Optimal expected-case planar point location Author(s): Arya, S; Malamatos, T; Mount, DM, et al.Source: SIAM JOURNAL ON COMPUTING Volume: 37 Issue: 2 Pages: 584-610 Published: 2007Times Cited: 4Title: Dynamic optimality – Almost Author(s): Demaine, ED; Harmon, D; Iacono, J, et al.Source: SIAM JOURNAL ON COMPUTING Volume: 37 Issue: 1 Pages: 240-251 Published: 2007 Times Cited: 1
- Your paper proposes a novel technology. Has the target journal published similar articles?
- Title: Separating AC0 from depth-2 majority circuits Author(s): Sherstov, A.A.Source: SIAM Journal on Computing Pages: 2113-29 Published: 2009 Cor relations Between the Literature or References Presented in the Journal and Your Paper
- How many times have you cited the target journal in your paper? Twice
- Have authors who specialize in similar research topics submitted to this journal? Yes, in your paper’s literature review, two of your cited authors, Bernard Chazelle and Schwarzkopf Orgried, have submitted to this journal.
- The Writing Style of Your Paper Cor responds to that of the Journal
- Special issues or journal themes: None
- Limitations on the number of words or pages: None
- Level of Ease Regarding Acceptance and Review
- Article backlog: Approximately 7 months
- Average review time: The first round of review requires approximately 6.2 months
- Rate of rejection: 40%, 98 papers (annual average number of papers published)/ 245 papers (annual average number of submitted papers) = 0.4
- Sample query letter to the editor:Dear [First Name, Last Name]:I would like to submit an article to your journal, and I wonder if you could give me some information. How many submissions do you receive a year? How long does it take you to get back to authors with a decision about their manuscript? What kind of backlog do you have? Will you have any special or theme issues coming up? Also, I was not able to find out what your word limit was: do you have a maximum?I know you are very busy, but this information would be very helpful to me.Sincerely,[Your first and last name] [University][Department][City and Country][No need to mention student status.]Reply letter from SIAM:“SICOMP has received about 245 submissions in each of the past three years.Median time to the end of the 1st-round of review is 6.2 months. However, the time needed to reach a decision can vary greatly in either direction. SICOMP’s version of record is electronic. Papers are published online as soon as they complete production. Production currently averages 3 months after acceptance. The corresponding print issue of the journal is available some 7 months after the electronic issue.
SICOMP does not currently have a call for papers open for a special issue. There is no maximum word limit. Take a look at the Editorial Policy — http://www.siam.org/journals/sicomp/policy.php — for more information.”